Wednesday, June 10, 2009

This is my plying stick

This is my plying stick:


Not to be confused with Evil Dead's Boomstick:






In an attempt to find a way to ply without making a giant knot I tried using this plying stick. Due to the lack of weight I ended up with a mess on my hands. I also realized that if all the singles are tied to the same stick then they would have to turn at the same rate. Which is not usually the case. So in order to avoid this I combined a few of the tricks I learned online and in my spinning class. And came up with this:


If your interested all you'll need to make this lovely plying machine is a shoe box, a dowel, and a few toilet paper rolls. I cut the dowel into sections and placed holes in the side of the box. When plying I'll wrap my singles around the roll and then they can move independently. The box should help anchor the yarn when I am plying. And if it isn't heavy enought I can always put something in It should be great. Now all I have to do is finish some more singles.


No comments:

Post a Comment